being a SAHM

So many of you may not know but since school has ended that makes me a permanent stay at home mom, SAHM. It has definitely been an adventure so far and really hasn't settled in that I am not going back to work at the start of the school year. But I am so excited to see what this new life holds for us. I figured it was time to share a bit more about my transition. And since becoming SAHM, I have learned a few things.

1) I knew if I stayed at the job I was at while my son was at daycare I would be very unhappy. I really liked being a yearbook and newspaper teacher but it wasn't my passion. Being happy means we will have to make sacrifices. We understand that... this is important to us. Not working is hard for some people and I get that. I applaud those moms who can do both! That is very hard on a mom, I did that for a few months, I completely understand.


2) People think that now that I am not working and I am a stay at home mom that I am lazy or do nothing but sit around the house all day. Along with being home with my son, I dabble in three other jobs like photography, real estate, and the health food industry. Throughout the day, my son and I run errands, clean up the house, do laundry, cook dinner, have playdates, swim lessons, check emails, blog, go on walks, workout, learn our colors, and practice our fine and large motor skills. That is only a few of the things we do all day.

I have been both a working mom and a stay at home mom and I am the first to tell you that being a mother, no matter if you work or stay home, is a huge responsibility. Each one is a different type of hard work and exhaustion at the end of the day.


3) Every time I tell someone I am staying home with my son, they respond with something along the lines of "that is nice, if you can afford it." I hate that people assume that just because I am staying home my husband and I are rolling in the dough... I am a stay at home mom because I choose to be. It was a decision that my husband and I decided together because I wanted to be the one that raised and taught our child the first few years of his life. We are going to make it work because we strongly believe this is what is best for our family. 

This might mean that we may have to cut back a bit to make sure we have a great amount set aside for emergencies and savings. I also have tried to coupon as much as I can. I have found this to be more of a personal challenge than something I must do... its fun to see how much money I can save at the end of a shopping trip, I feel accomplished.


This boy makes me one happy momma! If this is work, then I am very happy with my decision!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Emily Powell said...

Being a SAHM is the hardest job I've ever had but I love it. Financially it is harder but now that I do photography and design it is starting to make up the difference. You're doing a great job.

Megan said...

What a cute little baby!

Amanda Klein said...

Preach it! My favorite is when someone tries to sum up the SAHM role by saying "oh, so you don't work"... I'm pretty sure that day cares and chefs and house cleaners and drivers all qualify as "jobs" and I know I do every one of those every day!