getting ready for baby

Since we have less than 30 days left until our due date, Paul and I have been working hard to get things down around the house and ready for baby!

Throughout the summer we had a to-do list and accomplished many things on that list. Now we are just winding down and getting things complete that we don't want to mess with later.

Here are some of the things on our list:
Wash baby kitchen stuff, then organize it all
we started with hot water and soap

then after rinsing the bottles we boiled them

then we let them air dry... I love my Grass, which is great for all baby kitchen stuff because it holds them to dry!

the remainder of the items went in the top rack of the dishwasher
wash car and install car seat - Our dog goes in the back of our SUV when we go places with him and we didn't have a barrier (we have one now!) so he drooled a lot on our cloth seats. We had that detailed and then loaded in the car seat protector and our car seat base. We will load the car seat within the last few weeks just so its not in there all the time.
Okay so this is not in the car but we prepared the stroller attachment as well!
cleaning up around the house (getting rid of extra, unnecessary junk) - took a lot of stuff to a local resale, goodwill, and a pawn shop. Feels great having less stuff throughout the house!
prepare cat and dog - we played a youtube video with a crying baby in it to see their reactions because I didn't want them to freak out the first time they heard that noise. Our dog is pretty well-trained so I am not too worried about him except his very big body when he gets excited, we will just have to watch him closely when he isn't in the kennel. But our cat is a little spoiled and can sometimes be overwhelmed. She used to sleep in our room with us but now we have started training her to not be able to come in the room by shutting the door. She actually has done very good with this and has only sat by the door meowing a few times. I just don't want her to be able to access a room where Seth will be sleeping without me there. He will be sleeping in a rock 'n play the first few weeks and then once he is in his crib for naps and through the night the door will be shut to that room as well. Also, it was suggested when we are in the hospital, to bring home a blanket or something with the baby's scent on it and let the animals smell it. We are going to do this too.
baby proofing - haven't quite started but we will get some of it done before Seth arrives so we don't have to rush to do it all once he gets here or starts moving around a lot.
finally got our monitor and Paul did a happy dance!
packing our hospital bag - post here!
thank you gift for the hospital staff is prepared
final organization around the house - I have been working on getting things organized throughout the house so that I don't think I need to be doing it when I should be resting and gaining my strength back once we get out of the hospital....
an abundance of diapers!! I know we will go through all of these but I am happy I won't have to buy any anytime soon!
Other things we did to get ready for our first baby's arrival:
classes we took - A breastfeeding class which was really helpful and gave us a lot of information I was unaware of. A 4 week childbirth class which included things like breathing techniques, pain management, unexpected scenarios, a hospital tour, and so much more. A child care class which was nice because I have never really had a lot of experience with newborns so I have been really nervous about bringing Seth home. But we learned diaper changing, swaddling, sponge baths, and so much more!
books we read - Babywise, Happiest Baby on the Block, Belly Laughs, and What to Expect the First Year. I was overwhelmed by the What to Expect When You're Expecting so I never finished it :(

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!