Book Review: A Mother's Hope

A Mother's Hope
by Francine Rivers

Book synopsis:
Near the turn of the 20th century, fiery Marta Schneider is torn between her father's declaration that she'll never be more than a servant and her mother's encouragement to chase her dreams. Determined to fulfill her mother's hope, Marta leaves home for a better life. Young and alone, she earns her way with a series of housekeeping and cooking jobs that bring her ever closer to her dream of owning an inn.
Heartbreaking news from home strengths Marta's resolve as she moves to England and eventually to Canada. There, she meets handsome Niclas Waltert, a man just as committed as she to forging a better life in a new place. But nothing has prepared her for the sacrifices she must make for marriage and motherhood as she travels first to the Canadian wilderness and finally to the dusty Central Valley of California to raise her family.
Marta's hope is to give her children a better life, but experience has taught her that only the strong survive. Her tough love is often misunderstood by her oldest daughter, Hildemara Rose, who craves her mother's acceptance. Amid the drama of World War 2, Hildie falls in love and begins a family of her own. But unexpected and tragic events force mother and daughter to face their own shortcomings and the ever-widening chasm that threatens to separate them forever.


A very fast paced book, but I still really enjoy it. It is a Christian fiction novel and so far I have learned a lot and I am not even half-way yet. The love between a mother and daughter can never be severed but there are many things that might come between the two. I am really close to my mom and I believe this book will be a great one two read because I can relate to it in so many ways because my mom is always supportive of me. Even though we have our arguments, I know she will always be there for me.


This is also a good book for its Christian background because it tells more about how to raise your children in a Christian home. There are stories of failures as well as successes which I think help in the learning experience.


update:
This book is by one of my favorite authors and she has not failed yet again. It is a great read and an easy read but I just haven't had time to sit and read for hours like I would love to. When I first starting reading this book it was told from Marta point of view. I had no idea the point of view was going to change to her daughter's eventually. I like to see how she feels in her mother's eyes. I didn't know her mother would be so cruel because all her mother wants is for her to be strong and stand up for herself. 

This is a great Christian book and teaches you a lot about praying and about following God's instruction from the Bible. Although the characters have different interpretations of what God says I feel that the father really pulls together the Godly influence and I am hoping the mother can open her eyes.

update:
When I began this book, I wasn't sure if it would keep my interest the entire book. Francine Rivers' books usually have long drawn-out stories with a Christian message and this book was the same but it kept my interest the entire time. Although you go through time really quickly and read through a mother's life and then her daughter's, I can't put it down.

Francine Rivers does a great job of making you think and making you put the characters shoes on. What would you do during the World War 2 as a nurse with the love of your life in another city because you had to leave to take care of you father who has liver cancer?

Throughout the book you learn a lot about this family but you also see the pull towards God and the gradually drift away from God and back again. It is a Christian fiction novel for all to read.

I wish I had as much time to read as I did before I had a job and became an adult because I could have read this in about 3 days but it has taken me nearly 3 weeks. I promise you all I will finish the book this weekend and have the sequel read soon after that.

update:
Towards the end of this book, I couldn't put it down. It went so smoothly and told so much story. I was hoping everything would be resolved but it wasn't. Good thing I knew there was a sequel and am now almost all the way through it.

I really enjoyed this book but being a Christian Fiction novel I thought it would have more of a Christian base but it might be more of how to live a Christian life. I am still working my way through the story so once I finish the sequel I think I will have more of an understanding.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

I love Francine Rivers, but I haven't read this one!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

This sounds like a good one!