Book review: House Rules

House Rules
by Jodi Picoult
I just started this book but I love it already. Picoult always puts a different spin on her books than the typical writer. You never know quite what you are going to get.
This book is about a child with Asperber's and how his family coops with the issues of his actions. So far it is teaching a great lesson about jumping to conclusion and judging others.
Each chapter is a different characters point of view so it bounces around but it gives you a great perspective. I love how she writes her books because you never know which character you agree with.
A great read to make me think over summer when my mind is taking a break because no work!!

update:
Each time I sit down to read this book I love it more and more. Picoult is such a great writer and I love how you just don't know which character you want to side with.

In this book, a young adult has Asperger's syndrome and it is not what most people think. He is a smart kid and doesn't know how to read social cues but he makes it through life just fine with a little help from his mom and a young college student. Picoult puts so much research into her books, she takes at least a year to read up, visit, and interview people to learn more about her subject. I look up to her as a writer because you can always trust the information she writes in her books.

The book is starting to take off but it hasn't got to the main story which has to do with a legal court, a crime scene, and the 18-year-old with Asperger's. Can't wait to read the rest!

update:
This book is really getting good. I am loving how easy this is to relate to, although I am not a mother and don't know anyone with Asperger's Syndrome. The characters in this book the young man meets are really terrible to him and he has been sheltered all his life because of his condition. He has no idea how to relate to the others he comes in connect with him which make him seem like a bad person.

I can't give much away. This boy goes through many traumatic events in his life and he has no idea how to communicate with others so he becomes frustrated. Jodi Picoult's writing really makes the reader feel like they are there experiencing what is happening to the boy and his family. I am still not sure how to feel about each of the characters and things are still not clear but that is what I love.

I have come to a point in the book where it is kind of slow but I am sure that will change.

Everyone should read this book!

update:
I have finally finished this book. It was so hard to put down but my week has been crazy busy. Summer break, what break? The ending was a little predictable but I guessed the reasoning behind it all wrong. I love how she portrays families and right vs. wrong in this book. Anyone who knows someone who is Autistic or is a teacher, should definitely read this book.

Picoult knows who to twist the truth and the story until the very end to keep the reader come back for more. Although this book is over 500 pages it really is a must read. I think her books are getting longer and longer.

I can't give you a synopsis of this book but I will tell you this: like all Picoult's book there is a family in trouble, there is a trial, there is a hard decision to make, and a little romance. Also, the reader can relate to each of the characters in some way and you end of up with no bad guy on your list.

There are always ethical dilemmas in society nowadays and most people don't know how to relate to them or deal with them, this book is one which really puts into context a dilemma most people need to know about.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Heather said...

I think I may have to go ahead and buy Heart of the Matter. Lol, I bought four books for the holiday weekend!

asj said...

I love Jodi Picoult - I saw a goal of yours is to read all of her books, that's one of mine too -- I just need to figure out which ones I've read over the years I feel like I'm probably at around 80-90%!

Rorie said...

Just linked for the first time!! So fun!

BelleinBows said...

I just read Heart of the Matter as well. Enjoyed it but your right, pretty predictable. I will have to read House Rules.

Michelle said...

I loved Heart of the Matter. It was predictable. But still enjoyable :)

Heather said...

I'm putting Heart of the Matter on my to-read list :). I love Emily Giffin books!